Any undergrad pursuing Engineering has to know some powerful programming languages languages like C# and Java, faster languages like C, or at least about the fact that they exist. But one more powerful language has joined the list of late. Though the regular syllabus of either JNTU or OU doesn’t include this language, it has become one of the most user friendly, in-demand language of present time. Its “Python”. Here are some facts and benefits of Python.
“Python has been an important part of Google since the beginning, and remains so as the system grows and evolves” – Peter Norvig, Search Quality Director at Google, Inc.
Facts and advantages:
- Python was developed by Guido van Rossum in 1991.
- The name Python was inspired from Guido’s favourite show “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” , popular comedy in 70s.
- The core philosophy of Python as Guido states:
- Beautiful is better than ugly
- Explicit is better than implicit
- Simple is better than complex
- Complex is better than complicated
- Readability counts
- The amateur philosophy:
- Special cases are not special enough to break the rules
- Although practicality beats purity
- Refuse the temptation to guess, in face of ambiguity
- Flat is better than nested
- There should be one, preferably only one obvious way to do it
- If the implementation is hard to explain, it’s a bad idea
- Python is a multi paradigm programming language. It supports Object Oriented Programming, Structured Programming, Functional Programming, Aspect Oriented Programming, Design By Contract and Logic Programming.
- Python is intended to be “highly readable language”, frequently using English keywords and no punctuations required(No stupid semi colons needed but works either way).
- There exists a Java implementation of this language and it’s called “Jython”.
- According to statistics released by “indeed.com”, average salary of a Python developer in NY is $147000/Year, almost twice that of a Java developer.
“Python is fast enough for our site and allows us to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers.” – Cuong Do, Software Architect, YouTube.com
- It is an excellent launching pad for beginners in the field of coding yet proves to be superb for experts.
- It is the most readable, scalable, stable, portable, embeddable, multi paradigm language and enables us to reach out to any goal of the project(Small or Big).
- Here is a funny way of describing the power of “Python”
- It is officially proven by “Organization of Programming Languages” that the Python code in length is 70% less than the Java code.
- It has the perfect balance of the high and low level programming. The OOPs concepts can be practised on Python interpreter directly.
- Python code can be packaged into stand-alone executable programs for some popular operating systems, allowing for the distribution of Python-based software for use on those environments without requiring the installation of a Python interpreter.
- Google, WhatsApp, YouTube, Instagram, BitTorrent, Pinterest, Reddit, Bing, Yahoo Maps, Dropbox, Quora and many more famous websites and applications are either developed or expanded in Python.
All in all, Python serves the beginners a great deal of knowledge in terms of understanding the functioning and purpose of a programming language. It is free and an open source software with a large community-based development model. So let us “Python” right away !
Leave a Reply